The Church of the Dormition of the Theotokos at Agiasos


This is one of the most important places of worship on Lesvos, located in Agiasos and dedicated to the veneration of the Dormition of the Theotokos. This is a hip-roofed, three-aisled basilica with a narthex and a colonnade encircling the entire church on all four sides. It dates to 1815 based on a narthex inscription. It was built on the site of an older, smaller chapel which was torn down in 1806. As its replacement was being built, the bigger building was torched by a fire in 1812. Subject to a permit issued by Sultan Mahmut II, a third replacement church, the present-day church, was built. The church interior’s ornate decoration was completed in 1838 according to a narthex inscription. The marble altarpiece is worth noting built in the beginning of the 19th century. The altar has three holy altar tables, one on the right dedicated to Aghios Haralambos and one on the left to Aghios Nikolaos, besides the main holy altar table. A special iconostasis display hosts the church’s sacred Theotokos icon, which was discovered in the icon casing right behind its accurate copy. It is one among the many portable icons in this church dating to between the 10th and the 19th centuries. The church is complemented by a pilgrims’ inn, the spiritual center, a Folklore and Church History Museum exhibiting many valuable relics. The church celebrates on the 15th of August, when a festive service takes places accompanied by a litany of the Theotokos icon attended by thousands of faithful worshippers.

Region Agiasos

Our photography collection

Don't forget to visit!