The Monastery of Ioannis Theologos at Ypsilou


The Monastery is located in the western part of the island, 81 km away from the town of Mytilini, on top of Mount Ordymnos at an altitude of 634 m, dedicated to Aghios Ioannis Theologos. Due to its location it has been known since the 18th century as Ypsilou Monastery, keeping guard over the western part of Lesvos.

Tradition has it that the monastery was established in the Byzantine years prior to 800 AD by Hosios Theophanis Singrianis according to a patriarchal correspondence in 1331. It is believed that this monastery was deserted in the post-Byzantine years and eventually destroyed by fire. The existing catholicon (the monastic church) was built in 1832 and it is typical of a monastery complex as it is arrayed peripherally to the catholicon. A library operates within the monastery containing handwritten codices, patriarchal and metropolitan letters, wills and dozens of old books dating to between 1535 and 1845. It also has a museum exhibiting valuable historical objects such as priestly vestments, bishop’s staffs, reliquaries, gold-plated Gospel books and many sacred liturgical items from a wide range of historical eras. The Monastery gate remains closed between sunset and sunset.

Region Eresos - Antissa

Our photography collection

Don't forget to visit!